I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

About Me

My Photo
Sam
I am 27 years old and am blessed to have my husband Brady, as my partner and best friend. We have two children, Parker and Piper, our little yorkie. We are constantly amazed by the joy they bring into our lives and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
View my complete profile

Monday, July 25, 2011

We are those people...

Yes, we are those people.  You know who I'm talking about.  Those people who you used to pity before you had kids because they just embarrassed themselves in public; all while swearing that you will never be them (ok, so I know that I'm special and maybe it will never be you).  If you know me very well, you know that I am not immune to embarrassing myself in public, but for some reason, it is almost worse when you speak and you know people are going, "oh, they're American."

We started the weekend with a boat trip.  I was trying to new, fun things to do with fun things for Parker.  I definitely was that mom when, as we walked down the steps, I couldn't get the stroller folded and everything kept falling out while my son, who was on a leash, was trying to get in by himself.  This was one time when it was nice to be labeled "an American" because they thought I was just a tourist (that is until P pointed to and said, "our new house" when we passed our house on the tour, oops).

Parker was sooo excited while he waited for the boat!!


Here it is!  It was a fun ride, even if it was for only 20 minutes.

Parker was more excited by the water than anything he saw on the shore!

This is the Cow Tower.  It has been here since  around 1100 AD.
 When Brady got home from work, we decided to go try a Japanese restaurant nearby.  Brady was craving sushi and we figured that we could at least get some steamed vegetables and rice for Parker. We started the evening with a small breakdown.  Lately, Parker always wants his, "pants up."  For some reason, he hates wearing pants, and will only wear them if we roll them up.  Once we rolled them up, we arrived and had not made a reservation (most restaurants in Wichita don't even take reservations anymore).  I'm pretty sure no one ever brings kids to this restaurant either.  We were able to get a table (they gave us the only high chair they owned), and then proceeded to try to find something for Parker to eat.  Most of the veggies were fried, and he wouldn't eat the ones that weren't.  We let him try vegetable sushi, but that didn't go over well either (we ended up ordering him french fries...I can't believe I did that).  Finally, toward the end of our meal, he finally was eating some rice, when he started gagging.  Before we knew it, he had puked all over his shirt.  I was thinking, "poor baby," but I know everyone else was like, "I can't believe they brought a toddler here."  Don't worry, we continued our night of "best parents ever" by walking across the street and buying P some gelato.  

On our way to the restaurant..note P's "pants up"

Parker trying to use chopsticks.


Finally switching to a spoon:)

"I like it a lot" (after eating chocolate gelato)
The next day, we continued trying to do fun things for P so we decided to take him to the zoo.  He has been asking to go to the zoo since we got here so he was due.  It is about a 25 minute drive from our house, which is not bad at all, but we have gotten used to walking everywhere that it felt like a long trip.   Going to the zoo was kind of bitter sweet.  Parker and I went to the zoo in Wichita a lot and this was not quite as good (we are sooooo lucky in Wichita), but we had fun! No embarrassing moments to speak of here (that I am aware of...doesn't mean that people weren't laughing at us:).

Parker LOVED the seals!  He giggled every time they came up for air.



Seriously, who wouldn't love these guys!

This is hard to see...The little monkey really wanted Emmitt (the giraffe) and kept swinging over to the glass to try to get him.  Parker thought it was hilarious!

Parker showing the real giraffes Emmitt.


As we are getting ready to leave...Daddy did his hair:)


It was a great weekend, but it just confirmed the fact that Brady and I have no idea what we are doing.  We are just taking it day by day and hoping that we don't screw Parker up too badly!

1 comments:

Clancy said...

Sam, I have a restaurant story to make you feel better. The day after Elsie and I came home from the hospital when she was born we decided to load up the whole family and go out for lunch with Mason's sister and her boyfriend. We weren't in the mood to cook, would be just a few minutes from home, Bruer has always behaved very well in restaurants and there were plenty of people to hold Elsie if need be, so we were completely confident that it would be a piece of cake. We were eating Mexican food which Bruer loves, but for some reason he wouldn't touch his food. Then, as he was sitting there while the rest of us were eating out meals he started swaying back and forth and closing his eyes like he was falling asleep. Mason grabbed Bruer and held him with his head on Mason's shoulder and Bruer fell asleep. We thought it was so weird, but that maybe Bruer was just overwhelemed and exhausted from me being in the hospital for the week and all of the changes and visitors over the previous few days. Well, about 3 minutes later we learned the real reason why he was acting so strangely when he started spewing vomit all over Mason, he had the flu. So our first outing as a family of 4 turned into a completely humilliating disaster. We literally grabbed both kids, all of our crap, and ran out the door. Thankfully, Mason's sister and her boyfriend were there to wait for the bill so we could load everybody up and get home.

Post a Comment